Google Business Profile and SEO: Does having one and posting help SEO?
You have many options to promote your business online. One of these options is your Google Business Profile, formerly Google My Business, which is now and integrated extension of Google Maps, is one of the best ways to increase brand awareness and interest.
You have complete control over how your company appears on Google Maps and search results. This online listing is one of the best ways to influence local SEO and local ranking. It also gives you an opportunity to connect to high-value customers in your area.
Through utilising the ‘post’ function’ it’s a valuable resource that you can leverage off by adding text (1500 characters), photos, images, videos, offers, and more. But it is often a missed opportunity by many business owners when it comes to utilising Google My Business and Maps for lead generation.
Do you wonder if posting to your Google Business Profile can have an impact on your SEO? Continue reading to learn everything you need about Google Business Profile and search engine rankings.
What’s a Google Business profile listing?
Let’s first give an overview of what a Google Business Profile is. A Google Business profile, which is a free listing your business can create using the most popular search engine in the world, Google.
This profile is yours to create and own. You can customise it with your business details, including your imagery, opening hours, website links and much more.
Google Business Profiles / GMB profiles have the greatest benefit: they give you maximum visibility across all Google platforms, from search results to Google Maps. You can also increase your chances of your business ranking highly in local search results by using additional features, such as Google Business Profile posts.
Understanding Google Business Profile and Maps ranking factors
As we have already mentioned, creating a Google Business Profile Listing is a powerful first step in increasing your visibility within the Google search results. It’s important to also understand the factors that influence your search results position.
Google claims that their search results rankings are based on three core elements:
Google uses a combination these factors to provide search results that are most relevant to the query entered by searchers. This means that even though a business may be further from the location of a searcher, it might still appear higher in search results if it has relevant products or services.
Google’s algorithm and factors that influence your Google search ranking are important to understand for business owners. This will help you optimise your local listings and Google Business posts.
Let’s take a closer look at each one of these factors.
The relevance of a Business Profile refers to how well the information in the Business Profile matches what someone is searching for. A business profile is also called a Google My Business listing. For example, if someone searches for “Coffee Shop near me,” and the company’s name, address, and phone number, and details are accurate, and reflect ‘coffee shop’ in its profile description, then it will appear relevant to the searcher and support a presence in results.
Distance is one of the key factors in search engine optimisation (SEO), and it’s the same when it comes to your Google My Business Listing. A website that is closer to the customer’s location will outperform a website that is further away. Why? Because this adds the best value for the customer in finding the service / store near them.
Prominence is a measure of how well-known a business is. Search engines use different methods to determine prominence, but some of them focus on the offline world while others focus on the online world. For example, when someone searches for “best museums,” search engines may consider how prominent museums are offline in defining their rankings.
Google uses its own proprietary data to rank local search results, but it also factors in information that exists across the web. Google reviews and review scores are two important pieces of information that is used to rank businesses in local search.
What are the advantages of a Google Business Profile?
Small businesses should take advantage of the Google Business Profile for a variety of reasons. Let’s take a look at four reasons why a Google Business listing should be a requirement for any business looking to establish an online presence.
Influence customers final decision
Did you know that a Google Business Listing makes it perfect to attract customers that are new and indecisive by having reviews? In fact, believe it or not 90% of customers read reviews before purchasing. As such having a Google My Business Listing can act as a gateway in enabling reviews and providing potential customers with a view of your prior and current customer experiences
A Google Business Profile listing allows you to easily collect reviews from happy customers and then use them to gain the trust of new customers. Google provides a link that you can easily share to collect customer reviews. All reviews will be displayed on your Google Business Profile.
A high volume of positive reviews can improve your Google search engine results page position. Therefore, optimising and creating your Google Business listing is so important.
Boost your SEO ranking
You can have a positive effect on local SEO by claiming and updating your Google My Business listing.
Google will rank your business more easily if your information is accurate and current. Google can help you achieve the highest local SEO ranking by verifying your location, updating your hours, and adding photos.
An easy and free way to increase in-store visits
A listing makes it easy for local customers to find and visit your shopfronts. When using the Google Maps app specifically, customers can type ‘coffee shops near me’ and it will show all of the nearby coffee shops along with their Business Profile. This gives them quick convenience in searching, taking a look through reviews, looking at photos, posts, and more. This makes it EASY for potential customers to make a quick informed decision around which local coffee shop to choose to visit.
The path to purchasing is simplified
Your Google My Business listing contains helpful contact information, including phone numbers and website links. This will make it simple for customers to reach you.
They can get answers quickly by emailing or calling to their questions. This will help them move faster through the buyer journey. Your Google My Business Page makes it easy for customers to view your products in person before purchasing.
How do optimise Your Google Profile
You already know that a Google Business profile can be a useful tool for local customers to discover your brand and make purchases. What can you do to attract high-quality leads in your area?
These are some quick and simple tips to improve your Google listing.
- Register your business name on Google with a verified Business profile.
- Make sure you choose a precise category so Google and potential customers can easily understand what you do best.
- To rank your business correctly, complete your profile.
- To ensure that customers do not receive messages from an outdated email address or phone number, keep your contact information current.
- Regularly review your business hours and opening times to make sure they are in line with holidays and special events.
- Make sure to update your photos so customers can get a feel for your in-store experience before they even visit.
- To show that you are active and engaged online, respond to negative reviews.
Also review local SEO tips for Google My Business Listing.
What should you post to your Google Business Profile?
Your Google Business Profile acts as a digital listing of your business. You can also publish posts or the most recent news about your business.
You can communicate effectively with your customers and prospects by posting to your Business Profile. These posts can be used to announce new products, promote your upcoming events, and offer many benefits.
- As a way to directly connect with local customers
- Improve customer experience by providing accurate and timely updates.
- Another avenue for you to promote your sales, special offers, and events.
Google Business Profile posts, which are free and simple ways to connect with customers, are essential for every business.
We share what kind of posts are you allowed to publish on your Google Business Profile below.
- COVID-19 updates: Keep your customers informed about how your company is responding to this ever-evolving pandemic. Posts that include:
- Hours of operation and temporary closings (e.g., public holidays)Modifications in your business model (e.g., moving to delivery or take away)Check out the latest updates on how safety and hygiene are being managed in-store
- Support requests from your community
- These posts can be used to promote sales and offers. You can add photos, video and descriptions to your post, as well as learn more links, coupon codes, T&Cs, and links (directly within the post).
- These posts let you share general news and updates regarding your business. These posts can include photos, video and a description.
- Events: As the name implies, event posts let you promote upcoming events at a business. The title of your posts should include the start and end dates, as well as a time.
How to Increase SEO of Posts in Google Business Profile?
It is a great way for your Business Profile to stay active and current by sharing posts regularly. You can also increase your SEO visibility, and search ranking if you do it correctly.
Profile / GMB posts will be displayed in a carousel at bottom of your Google listing. This allows visitors to click through to view your most recent activity.
How can your Google My Business Listing posts boost your SEO ranking?
- It gives Google location-specific signals: Google can use your business’s location to help them understand what you do, what services you provide, and where you operate. Google will rank you higher in search results if you give them more information.
- You can leverage keywords through it: you can use your posts to include SEO-friendly keywords related your next event, product, or offer. These keywords can help improve your SEO ranking and make it easier to find potential local customers.
- Make sure your posts are engaging and relevant to the search intent and keywords within your profile. Google My Business posts help to increase the visibility of your business to Google. They provide more information about your business and offer customers more opportunities to interact with you. Google will prioritise your profile if there are more people who engage with it and their content.
6 Tips to Optimising Your Google Business Profile
Are you ready to maximise the potential of your Google listing posts These six tips will help you increase your post reach and boost your Google listing results.
1. Post frequently to Google Maps
Regular updates to your Business Profile will keep your customers informed about what’s happening at your business. It’s helpful to have a collection of recent posts and updates for customers who land on your listing.
We also know that posts can improve your SEO, so there is no reason to not post at least once per day. However, we recommend you aim to post at least once a week at minimum to maintain relevancy.
Make sure you are putting your best foot forward by sharing high-quality images and videos in every post. This will make sure that every visitor feels compelled and motivated to engage with your posts. It can increase the likelihood that someone will visit your store.
3. Keep your copy brief and punchy
You can post captions of text up to 1,500 characters. However, try and aim for around 100 to 400 characters because you don’t want to lose your customer’s interest. Be concise and to the point, whilst linking building to relevant content for further information to your website.
These concise captions will allow you to get to the point quickly and convince viewers to act.
4. Insert SEO-friendly keywords in your post
As discussed earlier your Google My Business posts should, just like any other piece of content you create, harness the power and potential of SEO keywords to increase your organic visibility. When choosing which SEO phrases to include in your post, be sure to consider your topic and industry.
You can use a variety of CTA buttons on your Google My Business account posts. These action-driving terms, which can include:
- Order online
- Learn more
- Sign up
- Call now
Play around with these terms to see which Call to Action ‘CTA’ buttons are most effective in driving engagement for your Google My Business profile. To see which posts are generating the most results, you can access your Insights within your Google My Business Profile. We’ve listed a few best practices when it comes to call to action buttons to set you up for success.
6. Avoid these common mistakes with your Google posts
Last but not least, this tip: don’t add a phone number in your captions. Although it is important to include contact information (such as your phone number) in your profile, Google could reject your posts if your caption includes your phone number.
That’s it! Google My Business posts are a great way to boost your SEO and to complement your content marketing efforts. These posts can be used to answer questions, promote events, and highlight your upcoming products or promotions.
Google My Business posts, which are free and easy to use, allow you to reach potential and current customers on a large scale without the need for a social media strategy.
When it comes to creating, optimising, and delivering user specific content for your Google Business Profile, contact Comet Digital. We will provide all end-to-end solutions to give you every bit of success in maintain the online visibility of your business.